As children start to return to child care centers and schools, it is important to help ease the transition. Children may have many emotions about returning to school. They may not fully understand why there are changes in their school. Some teachers and classmates may not return or there may be new faces in the classroom.
All of these changes can be confusing and difficult for children to process.
One way to help ease the transition is through social stories.
Social stories help guide children through a specific topic. We released a new social story that focuses on acknowledging and sharing children’s feelings in reaction to COVID-19. This story also teaches the changes children may experience when they return to school. We also included prompts for teachers to guide the learning process and take advantage of teachable moments. Families can read My school changed after COVID-19 with children before returning to school. Teachers can read this story when their students return to help welcome them back to school.
Download and print your copy here:
Include information about the changes in your school as applicable.
Watch our Therapeutic Child Care Services Program Director read the story:
We are excited about releasing our newest social story on acknowledging and sharing children’s feeling in reaction to COVID -19. Enjoy our Special Needs Director Lisa Furtado reading this story.My school changed after COVID-19 was written by:Dr. Day Care Learning Center & Therapeutic Child Care ServicesRebecca ComptonLisa Arundale Furtado (LMF Consulting & Training)Dr. Mary Ann Shallcross Smith
Posted by Dr. Day Care Learning Center on Friday, May 15, 2020
- Wearing a Face Mask – tips to teach children: help children adjust to seeing people wearing face masks. Understand why some children are apprehensive about masks and read a social story together to ease fears.
- Social Story for YoungLearners (Prek-2): learn more about the coronavirus and why schools closed.
- My Coronavirus Story: digital flip book with information about the germs that cause coronavirus.
- My Name is Coronavirus: simple language and adorable pictures make this social story great to read with children! Available in multiple languages.
My school changed after COVID-19 was written by:
- Dr. Day Care & Therapeutic Child Care Services
- Rebecca Compton
- Lisa Furtado
- Dr. Mary Ann Shallcross Smith
Illustrations adapted from vecteezy.com